[OMC-Boats] Pre-1968 OMC Stern Drives

From: Scott Veazie <scottveazie@...>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 21:38:13 -0700

All-

Just picked up a very nice and clean Four bolt cap stern drive. It originally had push-pull external rack and pinion steering, and since that won't work for my boat, I am in the process of putting in the internal worm gear. I managed to remove the old plugs that plugged up the holes where the wormgear steering goes, got the worm gear in, but the problem I have now is the retention plug. On my 1968 drive, it has a threaded plug, plus a plate that bolts onto the upper gear case with two large bolts.

The older drive I'm retrofitting has no threaded hole, just space for a plug to go in and probably be secured by a snap ring (I can see the groove). The old dummy plug I punched out is solid and doesn't have the recess for the end of the worm gear shaft. Does anyone know which retention plug I need? I was thinking since I don't need the old solid dummy plug, I could find it's center, drill it out the same diameter as threaded plug from my 68, and use a snap ring to hold it in. I also have one of those plate kits that bolts to the side of the upper gear case (it actually exchanges out the stock plate) and I could bolt it on there too.

Does this make sense? Any ideas?

~Scott

Windows Live™: Keep your life in sync.