Re: [OMC-Boats] Outdrive Vintage Question

From: Lee Shuster (lib1) <lib1@...>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 08:24:10 -0600

That's good to know -- so you'll be able to correctly source engine
parts. Now we just need to figure out what sterndrive you have? Have
you figured out what upper gear ratios you have yet?

But I beg to differ, as all Buick V6's with that casting number and
3.7L or 225 cu in use ODD-FIRE Crankshafts.
This was due to the fact that the engine was exactly 2/3'rds of the
Buick 300 V8. Result is a slightly rough but distinctive idle due to
the 120-degree spacing of the crank throws.
(OMC only used odd-fire Buick V6's until they switched to the 90-
degree Chevy V6 much later.)

You can read all about the technology and history of the world's first
mass produced V6 (both odd-fire and even fire) at: http://hhscott.com/evinrude/buick_v6.htm

Lee