[OMC-Boats] Tips on bringing Sport Fisherman back to life

From: Thomas Hovind <tchovind@...>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 09:41:37 -0400

I've been given an Evinrude Sport Fisherman of an unknown year, 4 cyl.
As this vessel hasn't seen water in 35 years I'm not sure where to begin
or what to keep an eye out for.
It will still probably be another 3 years until I can get the boat in
the water, but seeing as this is a rare boat I thought I'd try into the
groups collective knowledge and file this information away for when I
can use it.

I suppose the first thing I'll need will be a trailer. So any
recommendations on them would appreciated. I'm thinking of an aluminum I
beam trailer, single axle with disc brakes and torsion suspension. I'm
mixed on roller or bunk style, and of course welcome recommendations on
that and manufacturer. If it matters I plan to tow it with a 1/2 ton
pickup. Another question about trailering, should trailer it with the
mooring cover on or off?

After getting it out of the garage I think the next logical thing to
look at is the mechanicals. The engine I think I'll be okay with once I
find a rebuilt kit for it I think I can tackle that without much fuss.
But I have no idea what to do with the drive system. Is there anything
unique about it that I should only trust certain boat shops, or is it
generic enough that any shop would be able to check it out and get it
back in running order? Given the conditions under which this has been
stored I suspect that anywhere a rodent could get into, they have, so my
thought is to disassemble it and make sure there aren't any old nests or
anything in it first.

Next up will be patching the nicks and scratches in the hull from 35
years of being in a garage with children's bikes and toys bumping into
it. The deepest of these is only about 1/4 inch, and their few and
mostly at the bow. Additionally the deck surfaces are very faded and
will need some sort of reconditioning, again anything you're found that
has worked I'm open to hearing about.

Any tips, hints, words of wisdom that you may have will be appreciated.
Are there items that I shouldn't even question but just replace
(steering and throttle cables come to mind)?
This is my first boat, and although these rare one's don't seem to be
worth much, I'd like to keep it as original as possible.

Thanks, and I hope you all are able to get in a few nice days of boating
before it turns entirely too cold.

-Tom