Re: [OMC-Boats] Forward coil

From: Lee Shuster <lee.k.shuster@...>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:44:08 -0600

Hi Darson,

It's easy to confuse the 80 hp OMC nomenclature. But I believe your
V4-2-stroke power system is the same as what is more commonly found on
the 14-ft Evinrude Playmate/Johnson Caprice and a very few early
Sportsman/Revelers.

Unless somebody re-powered your 1965-ish Deluxe 17 it does not use the
80 hp "Cross-flow Kent and NU sterndrive. The "Kent" was an English
Ford, 98 cu in (1.6L) inline-4, 4-stroke that saw duty in some British
Fords and the Ford Pinto. The NU is a totally different beast, the "NU"
is a more modern outdrive than the original 480 or "DU" type outdrive.

The original 480 or DU has a bullet-style case with a much smaller,
lower torque rating gear case.
You can identify it by looking at the pictures on my website at:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/images/480_production.jpg

The later, heavier torque-rated (GU/HU/JU/KU/LU/NU/TU/VU/WU/XU) units
look more rounded:
http://hhscott.com/evinrude/images/ELECTRIC_SHIFT_LOWER.jpg

You should be able to find the Identification plate on the intermediate
housing and confirn your DU.

The DU shared many parts with the 1962 to 1967/8 75,80 and 90 hp
outboards including the coils and lower gearcase. I don't want to
speculate but type parts (once you get the part numbers) will be a bit
of challenge to locate, partly due to their older ages:
62,63,64,65,66,67.

At any rate good luck and welcome aboard!

Lee Shuster