[OMC-Boats] Stringer Replacement

From: A Mark <tinman694@...>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:37:02 -0700 (PDT)

Ok y'all, I finally got around to taking off the top
layer of glass on my 70 Tiderider and found that the
majority of the stringers are rotten. (read dust)

They were being held together by the glass--but really
nothing there. I see that they are basically 3 pieces
of plywood with a cap piece on top. The wood was
treated with some kind of preservative, but its long
since gone.

Will be removing the engine this weekend (outdrive is
rebuilt already) Basically, I have an empty hull with
just the stringers left.. So any suggestions on
replacing them... I am thinking of treated 2x10x16
cut to the original dimensions. Coating with epoxy,
then glassing them in. This would give the greatest
strength short of glassing in steel, which is also
another option. Plan to use the boat in the Gulf of
Mexico at some point too...so don't want to be too
careless when putting things back together.
This little fun project has gotten serious! At least
the hull is sound...relying on keeping it on the
trailer until I get the stringers back in and squared
away.

Any suggestions/guidance would be appreciated.

Andy