[omc-boats] Fuel Cap Specifications

From: Lee Shuster <lib1@...>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 09:44:57 -0800

Hi,

I'm attempting to find locate a reliable and inexpensive source for replacement fuel caps for OMC boats. The plastic "Cycolac" materials used originally are prone to degrading over time. A few boats were supplied with a chrome-plated (brass or steel?) cap.

Can anyone verify the OMC fuel cap specifications from actual precise measurements? (I'm not where I can easily put my hands on a filler neck or cap.)

If I had to hazard a guess, the cap is most likely 2.25" diameter with 5 TPI (threads per inch)?? If that's correct there are a number of caps available. I've heard common garden tractor caps will work, has anyone out there done this?

The alternative is to replace the entire fuel filler neck which mounts thru the deck. Can anyone verify that our original OMC tanks and filler necks use 1-1/2-inch connecting hoses? Anyone replace the entire filler neck/cap assembly?

Thanks

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City