Re: [omc-boats] Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #581

From: lib1@...
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:21:54 -0600

SAE ratings for autos did change from gross vs net and the lean running
emissions controls started taking their tolls as well into the mid
seventies. Finally catalytic converters O2 sensensors helped restore some of
the power.

But the ratings and measurement for marine engines didn't reflect these
changes, as far as I know.

It's just speculation on my part but I'd bet a picther of beer that electric
stringer hp ratings had more to do with sales and marketing and competing
head-to-head with MerCruiser, than anything resembling scientific
measurement. And remember these changes only occured on the 307-based Chevy.
When the V6 Buick was upped 5 hp between 66 and 67 models from 150 to 155
there were bonafide changes in carbs and intake manifolds. But none of the
other engines' hp ratings ever changed. I think Ford made OMC a deal they
couldn't refuse and essentially bought their way into replacing the 307
Chevy at OMC. I also think GM couldn't make enough 350's for cars and trucks
so they probably priced Marine versions beyond the excellent 351W and Ford's
bread and butter 302's. Wierd thing is why did the Ford 302 only make 175
and 190 hp when the Chevy 307 is 210-215-225. There just shouldn't be that
much difference in my mind.

So if you want to get me to buy you that pitcher of beer-- find me the part
number changes between a 1970 210-hp and a 1971 215-hp or a 1972 225-hp.

I'd personally like to hear from anyone that's transpalnted a 350,
383-stroker or 400 small block. I've heard that once you go much beyond
250-hp and 4600 RPM the electric stringer tends to have avastly reduced
service life. I'd love to someday try a mildly tuned and cammed 400 SBC
with great idle and mucho torque. I think the economy would be impressive
and it would loaf along most of the time. I knew I guy that did it with a
800 Stringer and he really loved it.

Lee