Re: [omc-boats] off topic

From: Ethan Brodsky <brodskye@...>
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 2005 14:15:09 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 6 Dec 2005, Glenn Halweg wrote:
> Since 11/28/2005 I've received 58 scam emails about helping someone
> transfer money or unclaimed lottery winnings. Including one who claims to
> be a GI in Iraq who with his commanding officer needs help moving 25 mil
> of Saddam's $$. Also one claiming I'm the sole surviving relative of an
> individual killed in a car accident. This last one has even emailed me
> again to ask why I haven't responded! Anyhow curious if I'm the only
> "lucky" one or have any of you been as fortunate as me?

It's a pretty standard scam that has been going around the internet for
years, and probably via mail for years before that. I've been getting them
since the late 1990s at least. The prototypical version is from "a high
Nigerian government official who has $10M in a bank account from a
dead/deposed leader" and he needs "your help" to help access in, for which
he'll give you 30%.

For more information on the scam, see:
  http://www.secretservice.gov/alert419.shtml
  http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/nigeria.asp
  http://www.419fraud.com/
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance_fee_fraud

and on a lighter note, check out: (scamming the scammers)
  http://www.419eater.com/

Ethan

--
<A HREF="http://www.pobox.com/~ebrodsky/"> Ethan Brodsky </A>
UW FutureCar Team Paradigm: Two-Year FutureCar Challenge Winner