[omc-boats] Re: omc-boats-digest V1 #338

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 21:02:31 -0400

As you say; my 69 Rogue has the round yellow plug for the tilt harness (
and also has a round black plug for the engine harness ) and I was wondering
about the red plugs you see on ebay for the newer harnesses and there is
also an adapter occasionally sold and I was wondering is there any way to
use the newer harnesses on the older motors and tilt?. I notice the newer
harnesses have different terminals also. Any thoughts on that. My harness
BTW is doing well. Been out several times this year. My steering broke last
time out and I fixed it this week. I reworked the pulley shackle at the back
at the transom two years ago. The shackle mounts with hex head screws that
screw into T-nuts anchored on the back side of the transom wood and the
T-nuts deteriorated and I drilled out the T-nuts and glued in wood plugs
fitted with new T-nuts. I used a wood filler type material to glue the plugs
in and the filler failed and the plugs pulled out and the steering cables
went limp so to speak. Luckily I was with friends and had no problem getting
back. Now I glued the plugs in with epoxy and used a small mend plate to
hold the plugs in. It should last. I underestimated the continuous pull on
that shackle from the steering cable which is spring loaded. I noticed some
deterioration in the steering cable where some of the plastic is worn off
exposing the wire cable underneath so I plan on eventually replacing the
entire cable. Anybody know where to get replacement black steering cable?
I'll have to look up the length required - I have seen that figure
somewhere. I'm also replacing the plastic rear cleats on the Rogue this
week. I got chrome ones off ebay some time ago that were used on the older
boats and they look exactly like the greenish plastic ones (which have split
and cracked and otherwise perished from the elements ) except they are made
of metal and are chrome plated and should last a lifetime. I am looking for
2 more to replace the front 2 cleats which are in a little better shape.
Hope everyone is out enjoying the summer. I'm getting a good tan working out
on my boat this week! Tom K.