[omc-boats] Hi all!

From: Thomas Klauber <tklauber@...>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 20:50:59 -0400

I toured the Beneteau Boat Plant in Marion SC today. It is a French company est. about 1890 originally making fishing boats on the coast of France. Today they make all kinds of boats and make many of the sailboats and the new Trawler model in Marion. I was quite fascinated by the method of construction and the smell of fresh fiberglass was great. The detail and workmanship is very good, reminding me of the Rogue! They basically make a hull and then an inner hull which is the floor of the boat then the top portion. Three large pieces then bonded together. Way cool. They even make their own fiberglass shower stalls. They ship in a lot of the woodwork pre-cut in from France. They have a huge water tank indoors to test the boats, even with a hose to vent the exhaust to run the boats in the tank. There was no room in the tank for my boat and I did not push that issue! The boats run from 200 to 500 thousand and depend on options etc. ---- Now back to earth - I finished the canvas top to my boat and it turned out pretty well and I have yet to test it on the water. As long as it gives shade. Some may remember my post about the ball gear seal in the intermediate housing - the seal in the bearing retainer - I replaced it months ago and it is not leaking anymore - what a great feeling to score against the forces of leakage ( boom! it will probably sink tomorrow but - hey it's worth it!! ) Good to see all the activity on the site. I am still dreaming of that new rub rail and wondering how to get certain parts remade or rejuvenated - ah - the beat goes on. Happy boating and better be getting ready, for summer is just around the corner and you don't want to be caught without a boat - just slap that project together with duct tape and you can finish it in the fall! TK