Re: [omc-boats] 1968 Johnson 155 wiring diagram

From: lib1 <lib1@...>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:54:23 -0600

Hi Mike,

Finding a replacement ignition coil shouldn't be too hard. I'm pretty sure,
unlike other electrical devices, they are not "marine" rated, which means
pretty much any auto 6V coil will work. The 6V coil is wired to provide extra
juice while cranking in the START position. When the START switch is released
to RUN the BALLAST resistor (mounted near the coil on the motor) drops the
12-14 volts down to the coils' rated 6-7 v rating.

But before replacing your coil, check the wiring's physical condition. On
boats this old, there's a very high probability that electrical connections
and fuse holder contacts become oxidized or corroded, in effect become
high-resistance or "open" circuits. An inexpensive multimeter can help you
troubleshoot, for high-resistance which can cause excessive voltage drops.
Pretty sure can locate a wiring schematic in the SELOC OMC Stern Drive Repair
Manuals, which is handy to have around for reference.

If the 68 Reveler windshield is the fold-down type, you might want to expand
your search to other OMC boats that used the same or similar setup. I think
the original 66 Reveler shared its windshield with the Evinrude Sweet 16, but
your later 68 reveler, I think shared windshields w/ the early (66-67) 19'
Evinrude Rogues, and possibly all years of the 14' Evinrude Playmates and
Johnson Caprices. I believe some of these were flat, while some had a reverse
curvature? Does yours have the ventilator feature along the bottom?

Lee Shuster
Salt Lake City