Re: rotten sweet 16

From: Jeff Mogensen <jmogens1@...>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 23:14:25 -0400

Take plenty-o-pictures along the way cause there are others (like me) who would be interested.

I am also ready to do some major work on my boat that can be seen at:

http://www.ultimate.com/omc-boats/gallery/jmogens-sport16.jpg

The problems in order of importance:
1) Transom - leaks and has slight bowing. I think I am going to have to yank
the motor, remove the top plate, drill out the rot, and add stiffening from
the inside. I hope I do not have to dig into the stringers. The hull is rated for 130HP
and I have a 115HP OB mounted now.

2) corrosion - the boat has been used in the Gulf Of Mexico for the last 16
years and my cleats, rails, instrument cluster, seat frames and windshield
brackets have wear. I may just replace if I can find equivalents.

3) hull - need to gel coat cracks and bottom V.

4) trailer - front cross member is twisting forward.

This boat fits in my garage and I hate to part with it since it is set up
just right. My wife says I need to "spruce it up" a little. She refers to it
as the "Jalopy". I would be content to find a good 1965 Sport 16 hull with
trailer and transfer my hardware.

Thanks for the advice,
Jeff